This is rather serious, yet not much seems to be forthcoming in terms of information. In February 2014, it was reported that an offensive smell emanated from the building of Postal Telegraph offices causing evacuation of the building. Employees sought refuge on the streets of South Camp Road. They said it was déjà vu as it was in February 2103 that a similar occurrence unfolded. To this day, I can’t recall any update as to the source or substance that caused such hysteria.
Déjà vu or not, the RGD now has suffered a similar fate, big difference being, the source is known, however, we await findings of the substance if we can muster that. Are we capable of closing an investigation or are we just excellent at the opening remarks, with the sole intent is hoping that the public forgets. Clearly the strategy seems to work, as we hear virtually nothing from the NEPA’s or Environmental groups. By the way, do we have any agency that deals with terrorism or espionage? After all, our Island is flooded with illegal’s from varying countries, and due to our lax laws, the Roc can be an ideal place for unscrupulous agents. Haha…………….I guess you think this is far fetched. Continue to traverse on the narrow lane we have been accustomed to until something grave happens, then the wagonists come out in full force and open the door for the conspiracy theories.
Born ‘idiaat’ we are way too often. Until then, I will not hold my breadth for the findings on the RGD mystery.
Odour from strange package sickens staff
(Jamaica Observer) Friday, June 26, 2015
RGD office in Central Village, St Catherine
Health officials are trying to determine the contents of a strange package that resulted in a number of workers seeking medical attention after it was opened at the Registrar General’s Department (RGD) in Twickenham Park, St Catherine earlier this week.
A source close to the RGD, the only repository of births, marriages, and death records, told Jamaica Observer last night that the package, which was transported to Jamaica from overseas, was collected from a post office in Spanish Town on Tuesday and taken to the RGD.
“When the package was opened, mysterious fumes emanated from the package. Several workers fell ill because of the fumes,” the source said, adding that there was a powdery substance in the package.
Last night, Postmaster General Michael Gentles confirmed receiving a report about the incident.
“The report that I have received is that the package was sent to Spanish Town and retrieved from the Spanish Town Post Office by RGD,” Gentles told the Observer in a brief telephone interview.
“That’s all I can say on the matter at this time,” Gentles said. “I am now awaiting a report from the Ministry of Health.”
Last night, our source said that staff members at the RGD were worried, given events taking place internationally.
Another source said that after the package was opened, initially some workers speculated that the substance was anthrax powder, which carries the potentially fatal infectious disease caused by gram-positive, rod-shaped bacteria known as Bacillus anthracis.
That fear appeared to have subsided after none of the affected workers died. However, one young woman was reported to have returned from the doctor with chest pains.
“Right now, it could be anything. We are hoping that the authorities will be able to bring some closure to this case and provide some answers any time soon,” said one staff member.